Top 10 emerging ESG trends of 2012 identified by MSCI
MSCI ESG IVA Research, has published a list of ten emerging trends likely to affect investors filtering their choices according to environmental, social and governance factors.
According to the research, these trends are being reinforced by the ongoing deleveraging of economies and markets – for example, resulting in cuts to social safety nets and regulatory authorities.
This may lead to consumers bearing a greater cost and greater risk in terms of negative social and environmental impacts from corporate mismanagement.
The ten trends are:
1. Accounting for Social Value
2. Civil Liberties Post Arab Spring
3. Accounting for Natural Capital
4. Shifting Debate on Climate Change
5. Bridging the Gap in Food Safety Infrastructure
6. Closing Corporate Tax Havens and Loopholes
7. Regulating Shale Gas
8. Labor Strife in China
9. Conflicting Water Demands
10. Broadening Threats to Privacy & Data Security
The full research is available at: http://www.msci.com/insights/responsible_investing/2012_esg_trends_to_watch.html