MFS launches globally diversified bond fund
MFS Investment Management has launched the MFS Meridian Funds Global Opportunistic Bond fund, which applies a flexible mandate to access alpha from the full gamut of the fixed income market through variable market conditions.
The fund will primarily focus on issuers in developed markets, but may invest in emerging markets. Securities considered include corporate and government bonds, mortgage backed and asset backed securities, and both investment and sub-investment grade debt. Although there is flexibility to consider a wide range of investments, the portfolio will be run according to “a benchmark aware approach” balancing higher yield and total return potential.
Lina Medeiros, president of MFS International Ltd, said the ongoing slow growth and low interest rate environment meant that different sources of alpha will drive the performance of the new fund “depending on market conditions.” The fund may use derivatives for both hedging and/or investment purposes.
Lead manages will be Richard Hawkings and Robert Spector (pictured). They are responsible for asset allocation and risk budgeting, but will work with colleagues on ideas at the sector level. Those colleagues will also be responsible for buy and sell recommendations for their respective sectors:
- Richard Hawkins and Robert Spector are responsible for Asset Allocation and Risk Budgeting.
- Richard Hawkins, Robert Spector and Erik Weisman are responsible for Global Sovereigns and Currency.
- William Douglas and Joshua Marston are responsible for Securitised Debt and Structured Credit, respectively.
- Robert Persons and Pilar Gomez-Bravo are responsible for Global Investment Grade Corporates.
- William Adams and David Cole are responsible for Global Below-Investment-Grade Corporates.
- Matthew Ryan and Ward Brown are responsible for Emerging Markets Debt and Currency.